Friday, July 27, 2012

THE GLOVEMAN PART 2

Mr. DiPierro's Gloveman-restored mitt and Maris signed ball!

by Daniel DiPierro

Throughout the decades my glove has remained, much like an old friend.  We still go to A’s or Giants games together whenever I head out to the yard (especially whenever the Yankees are in town).  I’ve always tried to pack it when I travel back east during baseball season, with hopes of getting to Yankee Stadium on the trip. But of course, after more then 25 years of hard use, my glove showed its age with numerous scuffs and scars and it developed a few rips, along with several broken laces, and the leather had become dried and cracked in a quite a few places.
About 20 years ago I came across an article, “A Man Who Rebuilds Worn Mitts” by Michael Robertson, while reading the San Francisco Chronicle, which initiated a wonderful new chapter of my story. The newspaper article introduced me to a man in the Bay Area who had dedicated himself to preserving old baseball gloves just like mine: The Gloveman.   I called the number and then took a drive to his little shop in an industrial park in Fremont, where I met a gentleman (and I do mean a gentle man) by the name of Lee Chilton AKA The Gloveman.  I shared my story with Lee, showed him my glove, and then left it with him.  He proceeded to meticulously overhaul the entire glove, taking it completely apart, replacing the padding and repairing the rips, adding new leather where it was needed and stitching it all back together again with new laces.  As a finale, he reconditioned the entire glove with a magical concoction that made the leather smell and feel virtually brand new again.  When I returned to his shop a few weeks later I was overjoyed to see my old glove again, with the makeover, sitting on his work table.  I immediately picked it up and slipped it onto my right hand, rhythmically pounded my fist into the pocket as I’d done seemingly a million times before, and let me tell you, it felt just as good as ever (or maybe even better)!  My glove was truly reborn!
I've had many new and exciting life experiences since that visit to The Gloveman in the early 90's.  I've gotten married and my two sons were born, certainly three of the most wonderful milestones of my life.  Also, during this same period both of my parents and a few close friends have passed on, so I’ve come to truly know and understand some of the deeper aspects of life’s full circle.  I find it absolutely fitting that during this most recent decade my glove and I have taken on new and different roles as well: I take it out into the back yard or to the park to play catch with my son Vincent, who was born in 2002.  I get to teach him how to use two hands to skillfully catch a fly ball, or show him how to turn it to the backhand or gracefully scoop up a short-hop when fielding an errant throw, and while we’re having our catches I share with him many stories about baseball and history, about Roger Maris breaking Babe Ruth’s record in 1961, or about my visits to old Yankee Stadium, and about life, people, places and things.

It is so genuinely warming to realize that I was 10 years old when I first got this glove, and now Vinny is 10 years old, and my glove continues to be a living part of our shared experiences today. There’s such a perfect symmetry in all of this!  And I know at least for me, each and every time I put the glove on my hand I’m back in Mr. Levine’s classroom, or in my old room in 1961 breaking it in, or watching Roger Maris #9 hitting home runs at old Yankee Stadium, or in the outfield myself, tracking down a fly ball in some sandlot game.  I could be heading off to college or to California with the glove packed in my bag, or at the post-season game in Oakland where I witnessed Jeter making “the flip” to Posada to get that important out at the plate, or perhaps best yet, hearing Vinny shout to me, “Hey Dad, where’s your mitt, can we go out and have a catch?”
I thank you very much, Gloveman.

No comments:

Post a Comment