Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Adrift and Addled on the Mad River

By William Fuller

9:00AM Sacramento train station. If I knew how prophetic the name on our car would be, I might not have gone (which of course would have been a mistake). Of the six or seven major league teams that are currently playing the worst, Donna and I were on our way to see two of them. Next stop: The Oakland Coliseum.

11:30AM The train arrives! We make our way to the A's ticket booth and score some choice tickets (this is NOT the team across the bay). We're sitting one level up behind home plate, a little to the first base side. We decide to start this one in style, so we get a table at the Westside Club, looking straight out onto the field. Before we're seated, I need to use the restroom - more to collect my wits than anything else - caffeine and disorientation have me semi-reeling. I walk towards where I think the bathrooms are, but it's dark and somewhat confusing, especially in my condition. There's an open door; I walk through and marvel at how clean this ballpark bathroom is - probably because of the section we're in - it's so first class, they don't even have urinals - we each get our own private enclosed stall. I'm the only one in there, odd but it is an hour before game time. I do my business, and as I start to wash my hands, a woman's voice comes from the entrance: "Are you cleaning up in here?" I turn around and she's looking straight at me. I realize I dress kinda ratty, but what the hell is she talking about and what is she doing here? And then, finally, I get it - I've just spent the last few minutes in the women's bathroom. Needless to say, I make a quick, apologetic exit as the woman moves as far away from me as she can, not taking her eyes off me for a second.

12:40PM First inning and the A's are already ahead of the Orioles 2-0. This second baseman Jamile Weeks is really impressive, despite a flurry of recent errors. We've finally finished our lunch and are ready to take our seats. As we enter our section, the usher stops us and asks to see our tickets. Problem is, with the tickets we bought, we got $10@ off the bill - and now we're not sure if the waitress gave us back the tix. When we left our table, we were talking to the mother/daughter next to us and exchanging blog addresses. I can't find the tix. Donna thought she had them, but cannot find them either. The usher is adamant - there are actually some seats in the outfield today that are only $2 (it's Two Dollar Wednesday!), and he's gotta be careful no scofflaws like we appear to be get into the better seats. Finally, after several more minutes and a coupla runs scoring, Donna locates the tix. We're in our seats!

1:20PM A's first baseman Brandon Allen hits a huge fly straight into center field. O's center fielder Adam Jones misjudges it, and it soars over his head and hits the base of the 400 foot fence, bouncing back at him. Allen goes flying past first. Jones bobbles the ball as Allen turns second. Jones seems to get control, but amazingly, drops the ball again. Allen is waved home - Jones finally gets control of the ball and hurls it to the cutoff, who sends it home, but incredibly Brandon "Barry" Allen beats the ball! An inside the park home run! Never have I beheld such a sight live! Astounding!

2:30PM A sky-hi foul Oriole ball heads straight towards me - it falls one row in the empty seats in front of me. But at this point, slow witted and confused, I watch the ball come to a stop as the gentleman with a mitt to my right goes over the seats and snags it!

4:15PM Back on the train, Jack London Square: final notes. The game ended with a ninth inning out at home, the A's victorious. Exciting game, great day. Who cares if it doesn't matter one bit in the 2011 scheme of playoff hopes and world series dreams? Who cares if the bulk of the last few hours was one embarrassing moment to the next? Any day at the ballpark is a day well spent. Note to self: Will have to do this way more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment