Friday, August 12, 2011

Oh, Ricky!






By Peggy Kincaid

The cutest boy I ever saw lived next door.

His little sister was my best friend, but

this isn’t about her. It’s about sneaking

into his room to get the scent

of boy and see his baseball posters

and touch his boy pajamas

when I spent the night with her.

I was only 9, but really, that’s old enough

to know how fine that sandy-haired boy looked

in his tight baseball pants. Lucille Ball

had nothing on me with her Ri-i-i-cky!

That was the cry of my insides:

Oh, Ricky, please notice me.

And when I watched him play the field,

snagging grounders, pulling down line drives,

snapping the ball to third, running over the first baseman,

I melted into my blueberry snow cone, and,

Oh, Ricky, my Bazooka bubblegum froze solid.


No comments:

Post a Comment